MVRsimulation VRSG performs best when using leading-edge high-powered hardware for complex simulations and can leverage previous versions of hardware for simpler simulations.
- Best DirectX 11 graphics cards with the most video memory will yield the best results.
- Higher CPU speeds are better than higher number of cores.
- More memory is always better.
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit version is required for VRSG v6.5.
The following is a baseline system configuration:
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 on a 64-bit system.
- CPU: Intel Core I7-8086K processor.
- Memory: 32 GB (4 - 8 GB) PC4-17000/DDR4-2133 unbuffered 1.20V UDIMM RAM.
- Graphics hardware: nVidia GeForce RTX 3090 PCI-Express 3.0 or better with 24 GB memory.
- Storage: 2 TB 2.5" SATA-600 solid-state drive (SSD) for the operating system; Enterprise 10 TB 7200 RPM SATA-600 hard drive recommended for data storage.
- Network card: 10 Gigabit FastEthernet (Cat6A) and 1 Gigabit FastEthernet (Cat5e).
- Graphics software: Microsoft DirectX 11.
- Input device: 6 degrees-of-freedom (6DOF) device such as 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Pro or SpaceMouse Compact as a primary navigation input device for VRSG, and optionally a gamepad such as 3DOF Logitech F310 as a secondary device for VRSG's First Person Simulator (FPS), UAV camera, and fixed-wing simulation modes.
- USB 3.1 gen2 port: MVRsimulation products are delivered on a USB drive.
Additional Configuration Notes
Virtual Reality Scene Generator (VRSG) does not operate on a Linux system running a Windows emulator.
Some features may not function properly with an older Nvidia graphics card (with non-Kepler or Maxwell-based architecure). For example, the current VRSG H.264.dll recording/streaming plugin requires a current Nvidia graphics card.
Some features may not be present in AMD/ATI-based mobility chipset. At this time MVRsimulation cannot recommend a configuration that uses the AMD/ATI-based mobility chipset.
VRSG version 5.11 was the last VRSG release with DirectX 9.0c support. Microsoft DirectX 11 is required for versions released after VRSG version 5.11.
Support for VRSG on Windows 7 and 8.1 ended on December 31, 2016.
Additional storage may be needed to serve and/or compile a large number of VRSG terrain tiles.
Typical classroom setting with desktops running VRSG involve centralized storage of 3D terrain and 3D models on a NAS or a Terrain Server.
Running VRSG in a virtual machine configuration may work in some limited cases. Some MVRsimulation customers run VRSG in such environments. However, MVRsimulation has not tested VRSG in any virtual machine configuration.
Running VRSG on Windows 7
Sites that are still running Windows 7 on their systems can run VRSG 6 with the following restrictions:
- VRSG 6 on Windows 7 cannot use the H.264 video/streaming plugin. Instead, run the MPEG video/streaming plugin.
- VRSG 6 on Windows 7 cannot utilize video memory beyond 4 GB.
To run VRSG version 6 on a Windows 7 64-bit system, ensure the system is current with Windows system updates, especially the Windows 7 update released in fall 2015. (Note that VRSG support for Windows 7 ended on December 31, 2016.)
For sites that are required to run Windows 7 for another year or more, and are running a version of VRSG 5 that is older than version 5.11, MVRsimulation recommends that you upgrade to VRSG version 5.11. If the VRSG maintenance is current on your site's older VRSG dongle(s), such dongles will be able to run VRSG version 5.11. Because VRSG version 5.11 is a 64-bit application, any custom VRSG plugin created at your site for an older version of VRSG will need to be rebuilt for 64-bit. As well, if your plugin extends the VRSG Dashboard interface with a property sheet must be rebuilt, you would need to rebuild it in Visual Studio 2013 for VRSG version 5.11.
Any new VRSG licenses that are delivered with VRSG 6 will be compatible with VRSG version 5.11.
Once you have installed Windows 10 on your system and are ready to upgrade to VRSG version 6, any custom VRSG plugin created at your site that extends VRSG's Dashboard interface with a property sheet must be rebuilt with Visual Studio 2015. As well, any custom plugin which used DirectX 9 in VRSG version 5 for drawing graphics or any action with the graphics API will need to be modified to use DirectX 11 with VRSG 6.
All specifications on this page are subject to change without notice.
Please contact MVRsimulation to confirm whether this configuration is current and for more information.